Wilmot United Church

This is the last of the large frame wooden churches whose spires dominated the Fredericton skyline during the 19th Century. Of them all, this wood shingled Gothic Revival church’s spire was the tallest at 199 feet, further surmounted by a 7-foot carved wooden hand pointing upward. Although the spire was removed in 1974, the hand may still be seen in the sanctuary. The church was constructed in 1852 following an 1850 fire that destroyed the previous church on this site, along with many buildings between Carleton Street and the Legislature. The present structure was designed by Saint John architect Matthew Stead, who also designed the Old Exhibition Palace. The church’s dramatic interior is distinguished for several reasons: its "shoe-box" shape and high ceilings result in outstanding acoustics, making it a favorite recital and performance space; the pink, blue & brown colour scheme was designed in 1948 by the famed Canadian artist Alex Colville to accentuate the high gothic-vaulted ceiling; and one of the stained glass windows is a treasure from the studio of Arts & Crafts master William Morris. Located second from the front on the Queen Street side, the window was donated in 1912 and depicts four figures surrounded by natural green tracery. The upper two window panels depicting the angels Gabriel and Raphael were designed by the Pre-Raphaelite artist Edward Burne-Jones.