Plaques and Awards
Fredericton Heritage Trust recognizes individual heritage buildings or sites in two ways. Neither means of recognition results in restrictions in the future use or modification of the property, and do not directly impact on federal, provincial or municipal heritage designation. Members of the public are invited to submit nominations for both of these programs
Buildings or sites considered to be of significance may be affixed with a bronze plaque with appropriate descriptive text. Residential, commercial and institutional properties may be considered in terms of criteria such as:
Date of construction
Occurance of an event or activity of significance
Architectural style, features, details or as the work of a particular architect, designer or builder
Ownership or occupation by a group or individual of local significance
Owners or tenants who have renovated heritage buildings (residential, commercial or institutional) in a manner sympathetic to the original character of the building or streetscape may receive a framed Fredericton Heritage Trust pewter logo.
12-14 Waterloo Row
McLeod's Inn built in 1782, is located on 12-14 Waterloo Row. The last surviving example of numerous eighteenth-century waterfront hostelries, McLeod's Inn had comfortable rooms, good food, and a list of distinguished colonial guests. (Procured in 1977) .
Loyalists Duncan and John McLeod built this house with its gambrel roof over a two-storey frame around 1785-86 and established an inn on the site in 1791. This popular New England roof-form offered the most efficient way of providing a third floor needed in a busy inn. McLeod’s Inn had comfortable rooms, good food, and a list of distinguished colonial guests. It is today one of the few survivors of the many 18th century inns along Fredericton’s waterfront. Around 1880 the building was made into two residences and now consists of apartments.
102 Waterloo Row
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 2:44 pm
The McQueen-Fergusson House built around 1790, is located on 102 Waterloo Row. Land originally granted to Benedict Arnold. The home, 18121858, of Colonel George Shore, Surveyor-General of New Brunswick. Home of Senator Muriel McQueen-Fergusson, first woman speaker of the Senate of Canada. (Unveiled in 1995).
Part of this house may actually be pre-Loyalist, and it was in 1822 that John Kendall, carpenter, leased it from George Shore, namesake of the adjacent street. The next owner, John Wilkinson, added the long south wing after 1860. During the latter part of the 20th century, it was owned by the late Hon. Muriel McQueen Fergusson, the first female speaker of the Senate of Canada.
177 University Avenue
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 1:57 pm
Saunders House built in 1796, is located on 177 University Ave. This cottage was the town residence Saunders, who became Chief of Virginian Loyalist John of Justice New Brunswick in 1822. (Procured in 1977) .
Prominent Loyalist and Chief Justice John Saunders built this house around 1833 using "a large portion of the material of the first Government House" which had been partially destroyed by a major fire in 1825. For example, Saunders reused all of the woodwork from the old dining room, where he had "enjoyed many a glass of wine to ’King and Country’ with men famous in the early history of this country." The wide grassed area which stretches from here up to Charlotte Street (along with a matching counterpart at the bottom of Smythe Street) dates back to the original 1786 survey of the City which reserved this area for farmers’ markets and cattle enclosures, although they likely never served either purpose.
774 King Street
Submitted by fht on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 9:43 pm
Smyth House built in 1787, is located on 774 King Street. First occupied in July 1787 by Mrs. Robert Smyth, this dwelling is one of Fredericton's earliest surviving houses. (Procured in 1977)
This simple house dating from 1787 taken together with 752 King Street becomes in miniature a statement of the two basic attitudes towards architecture established in 18th century New Brunswick. Known as the Smyth (or Smith) house, this small house with its lack of roof eaves and functional window arrangement is a pure response to the newly-arrived Loyalists’ need for basic shelter, and lacks much of the developing sophistication of the neighbouring John Saunders House which was built nearly ten years later. The Smythe house’s is known as a "Hall/Parlour House," as its main floor plan consists of a front parlour and a rear "hall" or kitchen, to which the back additions, such as the summer kitchen and side wing, were added later. Like many of the older houses in the downtown plat, the fieldstone foundation only has mortar in the upper few feet, with the lower basement foundation loose-laid and permeable to allow water from the annual spring floods to run through. The house has been painstakingly restored by its present owner, who has been careful to maintain traces of its two centuries of evolution, including dozens of layers of wallpaper, craftsmen’s signatures on the plaster, and various recovered items such as original trim, windows and shutters.
306 Brunswick Street
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 9:16 am
Ingraham House built around 1825, is located on 306 Brunswick Street. This 3-1/2 storey frame house was built and occupied by the two sons of Connecticut Ingraham. (Procured in 1977) (Note: From Duchess County, New York).
Probably built about 1825 by two sons of the Loyalist Benjamin Ingraham, with its four storeys, impressive main entrance, and handsome interior staircase, it was certainly the house of a prosperous owner. It is very much like the Odell house which dates from 1785 and casts a definite influence. At some point during the early 20th century the roof was raised and in the attic one can still see the original roofline about five feet below this higher pitch. The side entry displays an excellent Georgian fanlight and sidelights typical of many older Fredericton homes of the early 19th century.
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 1:26 pm
Temple House built around 1841, is located on 316-318 Brunswick Street. This house with its center gable was the home of Senator Thomas Temple, prominent nineteenth-century businessperson and politician.(Procured in 1977).
R.C. John Dunn (1837-1902) was a prominent New Brunswick architect who developed his skills in Boston with quite probably the celebrated H.H. Richardson, proponent of a revival of 12th century Romanesque forms during the 1870’s-80’s now known as "Richardsonian Romanesque." This style employed rough-faced stone, round arched window and door openings, steeply pitched roofs, stout columns with stylized classical motifs, and a general sense of mass. From his Saint John office, Dunn designed the Departmental Building predominantly in this style (with overtones of Queen Anne) in 1888 using purple and olive sandstone with polished red granite pillars.
750 Brunswick Street
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 2:45 pm
Bliss Beckwith House built around 1800, is located on 750 Brunswick Street. Built by the second rector of Fredericton, Rev George Pidgeon, this residence has also served as the home of men prominent in public service. (Procured in 1977).
This 2 and half storey wood frame house is an excellent example of a well-crafted late 18thcentury/early 19th century Georgian residence. It was built in 1800 for George Pidgeon, rector of Fredericton. It was probably used as a rectory until John Murray Bliss leased it in 1826-27. In 1859 it was sold to John A. Beckwith, mayor of Fredericton, member of the Legislative Council, and Grandmaster of the Orange Lodge of N.B. The house retains all its major architectural features, including the pure axial symmetry, diminutive roof dormers, double fireplace chimneys, pedimented side garden entrance, and the front entrance door with its remarkably delicate fanlight and sidelight tracery.
232 Northumberland Street
Submitted by fht on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 9:33 pm
Taylor House, built around 1830, is located on 232 Northumberland Street. This timber girt frame house was the home of George T. Taylor, early photographer and painter of Fredericton and the New Brunswick countryside. (Procured 1977).
This timber-girt frame house was built in 1846 by carpenter William Taylor and occupied by his family for the next 130 years. Although the entrance is presently on the side, it was originally on the front street where the right-hand window lies and changed sometime after 1877. William’s second son George (1838-1913) became a painter and pioneer in photography, beginning in 1856 when he built his first camera and began experimenting with the production of daguerreotypes (he would build every one of his cameras himself). George was one of the first to photograph Fredericton and its surrounding areas, and in 1863, Lieutenant-Governor Arthur Hamilton Gordon requested that Taylor travel the Province and take photographic views, giving him a letter requesting that people offer him necessary assistance as best they could. Taylor took an abundant number of remarkable photographs, including images of cityscapes, buildings, the countryside, military excercises, river and commercial scenes, and First Nations - often traveling with Native guides by canoe along the St. John and Tobique Rivers during such expeditions. He also had a portrait studio within the house, expanded on the river-side for this function. With his last images being taken in 1906, the renowned Taylor photographic collection lives on in the Provincial Archives as one of the most important visual records of the Province’s history.
260 University Avenue
Sunbury Cottage, built around 1830, sits at 260 University Avenue. The front portion of this wood frame house was built by carpenter Andrew Richey for his own family and extended by later generations. (Procured 1977) .
Known as "Sunbury Cottage," the front right hand portion of this house was built around 1830 by carpenter Andrew Richey for his family. His descendant Marshall Richey was a merchant and president of the Central Fire Insurance Company and the nearby Fredericton Gas Works (located at Shore Street and University Avenue). Marshall’s daughter Elizabeth Maxwell lived here as well, enabling the property to stay in Richey’s family for the next hundred years until it was sold in 1926. However in 1963, Andrew Richey’s great-great grand-daughter Pat Forbes bought the house and lived here until 2004, making it one of the longest "single family" lived-in houses in Fredericton.
99 St. John Street
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 1:31 pm
Moore House, built in 1843, sits on 199 St. John Street. First occupied by Hugh Moore, the principal of the Madras School, this dwelling has housed several generations of schoolmasters.
Hugh Moore, schoolmaster, leased the corner lot in 1843 in order to build this attractive and compact house. He had been a tutor in Ireland and in Fredericton he became principal of the Madras School, supported in the 19th century by donations of money and land. It is a charming house, but even more important as a barometer of mid-century taste. The earlier box shape has been modified by the vertical accent of a gable while the new requirement of enhanced surface texture can be seen in the increased overhang of the eaves and the window ornament. This is one of the few houses in Fredericton that still maintain original wooden storm covers for the entry sidelights during the winter months.
725 George Street
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 1:34 pm
Fernholme, built in 1847, is located at 725 George Street. The back cottage of this house was designed and occupied by Frank Wills, the architect of the Cathedral. The end gable was added ten years later. (FHT Crest).
Built in 1847, the quaint back cottage of this house was designed, erected, and originally occupied by Frank Wills, the architect of St. Anne’s Parish Church and Christ Church Cathedral. James Hogg, its next owner, was the founder and publisher of the Fredericton newspaper, the Reporter, and also the author of the first book of poetry published in New Brunswick in 1824. The large Classical Revival front section was added in the 1850s. Its most distinguished occupant was a man decorated for his service in the Crimean War, Colonel John Robinson, whose family maintained the house for close to a century.
734 George Street
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 1:35 pm
The Rectory, built in 1829, sits on 734 George Street. This Georgian residence, built by St. Anne's Parish Church for the rector, was the home of the famous literary Roberts family. (Procured 1977) (Walking Tour lists date as 1833).
Built of brick in 1829, this Canadian version of an English Georgian rectory was first occupied by Archdeacon Coster, and later by Canon Roberts and his famous literary family, foremost of whom was Sir Charles G.D. Roberts (1860-1943). Charles and his cousin, the poet Bliss Carman, are considered the fathers of English verse in Canada, and the men would often congregate in the garden to write. The much younger author, Theodore Goodridge Roberts (1877-1953), father of the distinguished modern Canadian painter Goodridge Roberts (1904-1974), was born here. The house suffers from recent unsympathetic additions, however it still remains one of the most important in New Brunswick.
758 George Street
Odell Cottage, built circa 1855, is found at 758 George Street. Built by William Odell on a pasture lost extending to King's College, this farm cottage was later the home of Honourable A.G. Blair, Premier of New Brunswick, 1883-1896. (FHT Crest).
Built by Jonathan Odell’s son William about 1855 on a pasture lot extending to King’s College (UNB), this farm cottage was later the home of Hon. A.G. Blair, Premier of New Brunswick from 1883 to 1896. Evidence indicates that the present house encompasses two separate houses joined together in the late 1870’s. The long trellis verandah with its carved fiddleheads secures this cottage as one of the outstanding local examples of the Picturesque, a mid-19th century style which sought interesting decorative effects that integrated architecture and landscape into a harmonious and "picturesque" whole. The house has been pink for over 100 years, and according to family tradition, should remain so.
759 George Street
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 1:39 pm
Harned House, built in 1826 sits at 759 George Street. Alward Harned, mason, carpenter and partner involved in the construction of the fires Government House, built this solid dwelling for his own use. (FHT Crest).
Alward Harned, mason, carpenter, and partner involved in the construction of the first Government House, built this handsome dwelling in 1826 for his own use. It has a large cellar and a solid stone foundation, fine woodwork, and wide floorboards. James White, a watchmaker and amateur inventor bought this house from David Harned in 1860, and later built a home-made telescope in the garden for all the neighbors to enjoy. The house was in the Fred P. Hatt Family for many generations until late in the last century.
868 George Street
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 1:56 pm
Colonel Isaac Allen Cottage, built circa 1800, is located at 868 George Street. Occupied by members of distinguished Loyalists, the Allen's, and historian Dr. Maxwell, this house is one of Fredericton's oldest. (FHT Crest).
The hand-split laths, hand-hewn beams, two fine large fireplaces in one huge chimney, interior molding, and iron HL hinges tend to date this house as circa 1800. Dr. Lilian Beckwith Maxwell, a central New Brunswick historian who lived in the house, speaks of it as the cottage the distinguished Loyalist Col. Isaac Allen built in Fredericton (he also had a large estate upriver). Local tradition has it that Allen, one of the first colonial judges of His Majesty’s Supreme Court, used the parlor as his courtroom as was the custom then. He died in 1806 but his sister Miss Hannah and his daughter Sarah lived here, the latter till her death in 1858.
203 Regent Street
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 10:07 am
Turner House, built in 1833, sits at 203 Regent Street. Built for Loyalist descendants George Turner, Waggoner, and his wife Catherine. By 1868 this neoclassical house was owned by Dr. Hiram Dow, a surgeon and member of the Legislative Assembly. (Unveiled 1997).
Fluted Doric pilasters embellish one of Fredericton’s most inspired Greek Revival porticos at the front entrance of this handsome corner house, characteristic of early 19th century Fredericton homes with its gabled roof, hand-planed wood shingle cladding, and 6 over 6 single hung windows. It was built in 1833 for Loyalist descendant George Turner, a waggoner who operated a stagecoach from Fredericton to Saint John, and his wife Catherine. By 1868 this Neoclassical house was owned by Dr. Hiram Dow, a surgeon and member of the Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick. Renovations took place around 1880 including raising the roof and adding another storey to the back wing.
74 Shore Street
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 2:36 pm
Block House, built around 1840, is located at Shore 74 Street. The back portion of this house is believed to be pre-Loyalist; the front was built by master mason John Block. (Procured 1977).
The front part of this house, like the facing Bliss Carman house, is made of vertical 4-inch thick deals (huge heavy-timber planks), pegged together between the clapboard and interior lath and plaster. It was constructed about 1840 by master mason John Block. Local lore has it that the rear portion may in fact be pre-Loyalist.
731 Brunswick Street
Submitted by fht on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 1:30 pm
Allen House, 731 Brunswick Street, was built circa 1830. Originally a 1 ½ storey house with side hall and central chimney, this home, long owned by Allen's, was enlarged and modified in the 1880's. (FHT Crest)
This house was sold in 1833 to three of the six daughters of the Hon. Isaac Allen, one of the founders of Fredericton. Soon after 1879, the 1 and half storey house was enlarged and modified by adding a third storey and its present Second Empire design elements.
Brick Hill, 8 Downing Street. Originally a four bedroom single family tenement built in 1888 by Alexander "Boss" Gibson. One of fourteen similar style homes constructed for families of his Cotton Mill employees. (Unveiled 1998) (FHT Title)
Jaffery House, 63 McKeen Street, Devon, was built c. 1870, after the 1869 Saxby gale. The only house on this part of St. John River with a "Widow's Walk." (Unveiled 1997) (FHT Title)
Hatt House, 293 Canada Street, Marysville, was built in 1885 by Alexander "Boss" Gibson for his daughter Annie and Charles Hatt, his son-in-law, the cotton mill accountant. (Unveiled 1993) (FHT Title)
Sewell House, 714 Union Street Devon, was built after the "Gibson Fire" of June 20 1893, to house the family of lumberman Arthur Sewell, and later provided early offices for the South Devon Fuel and Tugboat Company Ltd.
"Gibson's Landing"(Marysville General Store), corner Bridge and Canada Streets, played a significant role in the life of Marysville.
Frogmore, 35 Colter Court, predates 1822 and dominated the 72 acre estate of George Sproul, New Brunswick's first Surveyor-General and one of the petitioners for an academy, later the University of New Brunswick.