232 Northumberland Street

This timber-girt frame house was built in 1846 by carpenter William Taylor and occupied by his family for the next 130 years. Although the entrance is presently on the side, it was originally on the front street where the right-hand window lies and changed sometime after 1877. William’s second son George (1838-1913) became a painter and pioneer in photography, beginning in 1856 when he built his first camera and began experimenting with the production of daguerreotypes (he would build every one of his cameras himself). George was one of the first to photograph Fredericton and its surrounding areas, and in 1863, Lieutenant-Governor Arthur Hamilton Gordon requested that Taylor travel the Province and take photographic views, giving him a letter requesting that people offer him necessary assistance as best they could. Taylor took an abundant number of remarkable photographs, including images of cityscapes, buildings, the countryside, military excercises, river and commercial scenes, and First Nations - often traveling with Native guides by canoe along the St. John and Tobique Rivers during such expeditions. He also had a portrait studio within the house, expanded on the river-side for this function. With his last images being taken in 1906, the renowned Taylor photographic collection lives on in the Provincial Archives as one of the most important visual records of the Province’s history.