Militia Warehouse

Militia Warehouse

Shown on the 1832 city map and in early photographs, this plain and rather dignified little building was part of the British Military Compound and is the only wooden structure of the original set of buildings remaining in the Garrison District. Originally a Militia warehouse for weapons and ammunition, it was used as a military hospital after 1882 when the original hospital was demolished to build the first Normal School. It has also been used as a liquor warehouse, temperance hall, caretaker’s residence for the adjacent Armouries, and is presently the office for Fredericton Tourism.