Old Post Office and Customs House

Old Post Office and Customs House

What is known today as the John Thurston Clark Memorial Building was officially opened on April 30, 1881 as Fredericton’s Post Office and Customs House. Built conspicuously in the center of the City, this three-storey building is a magnificent example of the Second Empire style, sporting exterior walls of pressed brick and stone, paired groups of tall windows, a mansard roof with ornate dormers, and a well-proportioned central tower topped with its still-visible iron lacework. The building has had many functions since then, including acting as a library, an exhibition centre, and its present use: the New Brunswick Sports Hall of Fame.