Old Fredericton High School - II
By the early 1920s, Fredericton’s 19th century high school was too small, and this "new" high school was completed in 1925 on the site of an old wooden soldiers’ barracks. The façade displays a taut Beaux-Arts Classical Revival design that is typical of public buildings of the era, but is very clearly scholastic, combining a pedimented Ionic portico with quintessential groupings of tall "classroom" windows. As the student population grew, the structure saw several expansions beginning with the first in 1937. Although it is still used as a school, it ceased to be a high school in 1971 with yet another incarnation of Fredericton High "up the hill."