433 Charlotte Street

433 Charlotte Street

Hiding beneath this present apartment building is an 1830 Presbyterian church known as "the Auld Kirk," which was designed by William Taylor. The Kirk (Scottish for "church") has actually been moved twice; first in 1882 from its original location at the corner of George & York Streets, and again to its present location in 1917 to make room for the Fraser Memorial Hall connected to St. Paul’s United Church. Although much altered and missing its steeple, the low-pitched roof, large transomed front entry and array of typical early 18th century keystoned arched windows on the side facades give evidence to its once splendid appearance as a house of worship.