Fraser Memorial Building (Old Victoria Public Hospital)
The original Victoria Public Hospital was a rambling group of wooden houses until the construction of the Fraser Memorial wing in 1921. Named for its benefactors, Archibald and Donald Fraser, the 21-room addition was connected to its predecessors, but was of a far more commanding character. One of the City’s few Tudor Revival structures, it is clad in Miramichi sandstone, and boasted a main entrance with oak-paneled hallways and marble and terrazzo floors. Additional wings were added over the years, and the original Hospital was demolished. After the Chalmers Hospital was completed in 1976, the complex took on a new life as a health centre.