182 Brunswick Street
This circa 1830 cottage was the home of Stephen White who came to the region as a military man in 1818, and who certainly owned the cottage in 1831. White had fought in Wellington’s army during the Iberian campaign against Napoleon, and his regiment was the kilted 74th. This comfortable small house and garden has been very well cared for and features many fine original details including windows with original glass, wood paneling, and door/window moldings. Although not "original," the enclosed front porch contains elegant wall panelling. The structural framing is an early type of "balloon framing" with 3"x10" wood studs running the full height of the house, pegged to the floor system.