Fredericton Heritage Trust recognizes individual heritage buildings or sites in two ways. Neither means of recognition results in restrictions in the future use or modification of the property, and do not directly impact on federal, provincial or municipal heritage designation. Members of the public are invited to submit nominations for both of these programs
Buildings or sites considered to be of significance may be affixed with a bronze plaque with appropriate descriptive text. Residential, commercial and institutional properties may be considered in terms of criteria such as:
- Date of construction
- Occurance of an event or activity of significance
- Architectural style, features, details or as the work of a particular architect, designer or builder
- Ownership or occupation by a group or individual of local significance
Owners or tenants who have renovated heritage buildings (residential, commercial or institutional) in a manner sympathetic to the original character of the building or streetscape may receive a framed Fredericton Heritage Trust pewter logo.
McLeod's Inn built in 1782, is located on 12-14 Waterloo Row. The last surviving example of numerous eighteenth-century waterfront hostelries, McLeod's Inn had comfortable rooms, good food, and a list of distinguished colonial guests. (Procured in 1977) - more »»
The McQueen-Fergusson House built around 1790, is located on 102 Waterloo Row. Land originally granted to Benedict Arnold. The home, 18121858, of Colonel George Shore, Surveyor-General of New Brunswick. Home of Senator Muriel McQueen-Fergusson, first woman speaker of the Senate of Canada. (Unveiled in 1995) (FHT Title) - more »»
Saunders House built in 1796, is located on 177 University Ave. This cottage was the town residence Saunders, who became Chief of Virginian Loyalist John of Justice New Brunswick in 1822. (Procured in 1977) - more »»
Smyth House built in 1787, is located on 774 King Street. First occupied in July 1787 by Mrs. Robert Smyth, this dwelling is one of Fredericton's earliest surviving houses. (Procured in 1977) - more »»
Ingraham House built around 1825, is located on 306 Brunswick Street. This 3-1/2 storey frame house was built and occupied by the two sons of Connecticut Ingraham. (Procured in 1977) (Note: From Duchess County, New York) - more »»
Temple House built around 1841, is located on 316-318 Brunswick Street. This house with its center gable was the home of Senator Thomas Temple, prominent nineteenth-century businessperson and politician.(Procured in 1977) - more »»
Bliss Beckwith House built around 1800, is located on 750 Brunswick Street. Built by the second rector of Fredericton, Rev George Pidgeon, this residence has also served as the home of men prominent in public service. (Procured in 1977) - more »»
Taylor House, built around 1830, is located on 232 Northumberland Street. This timber girt frame house was the home of George T. Taylor, early photographer and painter of Fredericton and the New Brunswick countryside. (Procured 1977) - more »»
Sunbury Cottage, built around 1830, sits at 260 University Avenue. The front portion of this wood frame house was built by carpenter Andrew Richey for his own family and extended by later generations. (Procured 1977) - more »»
Moore House, built in 1843, sits on 199 St. John Street. First occupied by Hugh Moore, the principal of the Madras School, this dwelling has housed several generations of schoolmasters. - more »»
Fernholme, built in 1847, is located at 725 George Street. The back cottage of this house was designed and occupied by Frank Wills, the architect of the Cathedral. The end gable was added ten years later. (FHT Crest) - more »»
The Rectory, built in 1829, sits on 734 George Street. This Georgian residence, built by St. Anne's Parish Church for the rector, was the home of the famous literary Roberts family. (Procured 1977) (Walking Tour lists date as 1833) - more »»
Odell Cottage, built circa 1855, is found at 758 George Street. Built by William Odell on a pasture lost extending to King's College, this farm cottage was later the home of Honourable A.G. Blair, Premier of New Brunswick, 1883-1896. (FHT Crest) - more »»
Harned House, built in 1826 sits at 759 George Street. Alward Harned, mason, carpenter and partner involved in the construction of the fires Government House, built this solid dwelling for his own use. (FHT Crest) - more »»
Colonel Isaac Allen Cottage, built circa 1800, is located at 868 George Street. Occupied by members of distinguished Loyalists, the Allen's, and historian Dr. Maxwell, this house is one of Fredericton's oldest. (FHT Crest) - more »»
Turner House, built in 1833, sits at 203 Regent Street. Built for Loyalist descendants George Turner, Waggoner, and his wife Catherine. By 1868 this neoclassical house was owned by Dr. Hiram Dow, a surgeon and member of the Legislative Assembly. (Unveiled 1997) - more »»
Block House, built around 1840, is located at Shore 74 Street. The back portion of this house is believed to be pre-Loyalist; the front was built by master mason John Block. (Procured 1977) - more »»
Allen House, 731 Brunswick Street, was built circa 1830. Originally a 1 ½ storey house with side hall and central chimney, this home, long owned by Allen's, was enlarged and modified in the 1880's. (FHT Crest) - more »»
Brick Hill, 8 Downing Street. Orginally a four bedroom single family tenement built in 1888 by Alexander "Boss" Gibson. One of fourteen similar style homes constructed for families of his Cotton Mill employees. (Unveiled 1998) (FHT Title)
Jaffery House, 63 McKeen Street, Devon, was built c. 1870, after the 1869 Saxby gale. The only house on this part of St. John River with a "Widow's Walk." (Unveiled 1997) (FHT Title)
Hatt House, 293 Canada Street, Marysville, was built in 1885 by Alexander "Boss" Gibson for his daughter Annie and Charles Hatt, his son-in-law, the cotton mill accountant. (Unveiled 1993) (FHT Title)
Sewell House, 714 Union Street Devon, was built after the "Gibson Fire" of June 20 1893, to house the family of lumberman Arthur Sewell, and later provided early offices for the South Devon Fuel and Tugboat Company Ltd.
"Gibson's Landing"(Marysville General Store), corner Bridge and Canada Streets, played a significant role in the life of Marysville.
Frogmore, 35 Colter Court, predates 1822 and dominated the 72 acre estate of George Sproul, New Brunswick's first Surveyor-General and one of the petitioners for an academy, later the University of New Brunswick.