Randolph Building

Randolph Building

It is believed that A. F. Randolph and Son, Wholesale Grocers, admired the “new” City Hall so much that they copied its style when erecting this building in 1878. Between 1951 and 1980, it was the home of Fredericton’s newspaper the Daily Gleaner. In the days of the Gleaner, the old lead press plant was at the street level behind the large plate glass windows with the newsroom and composing rooms on the second and third storeys. Of note is the fine cast iron façade at street level, the dog-face grotesque figure glaring from the corner pilaster capital, and the tall corner tower with its wrought iron embellishments and round dormer window, offering a fine counterpoint to City Hall.