9 Elmcroft Place
Constructed circa 1800 on the Loyalist encampment of 1783, this Georgian manor, long associated with University life, was named "Elmcroft" by its second owner the Hon. Neville Parker. Its form evolved through the efforts of various owners including its original proprietor Henry Smith, who acquired the land in 1797, and Henry George Clopper Ketchum, the first civil engineering graduate from UNB in 1862 and the developer of the nearly completed Chignecto Ship Railway canal in the late 1880s, which attempted to connect the Bay of Fundy with the Northumberland Strait. Ketchum purchased Elmcroft in 1865 and soon after added the full third storey and mansard roof, giving the house its present appearance.