William Brydone Jack Observatory
Jack was Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy at King’s College (UNB) and later President of the University. He convinced the college council to erect an observatory in 1851, which is now the oldest existing observatory in Canada. Constructed of wood, it has an octagonal tower capped with a copper-clad rotating roof especially designed to house its equatorial telescope. Over the years, it has also served as an art centre, faculty club, headquarters for the "Fiddlehead" poetry journal, and an astronomical museum displaying Jack’s instruments. It was declared a National Historic Site in 1955.