230 University Avenue
This splendid Victorian mansion was built in 1875 by Harry Beckwith, commissioner of the New Brunswick & Nova Scotia Land Company. Like his father, John A. Beckwith, Harry would become mayor of Fredericton, carrying on a tradition of public life and gracious entertaining. This Second Empire home’s carriage house is essentially a scaled-down version of the main building, with its similar windows, mansard roof and siding/trim materials, and is a wonderful example of Fredericton’s late 19th-century carriage houses which mimic their "parent" homes. The house is now an inn, and the stylized "B" etched on the front door window remains as a memory of the original owners.