177 University Avenue

177 University Avenue

Prominent Loyalist and Chief Justice John Saunders built this house around 1833 using "a large portion of the material of the first Government House" which had been partially destroyed by a major fire in 1825. For example, Saunders reused all of the woodwork from the old dining room, where he had "enjoyed many a glass of wine to ’King and Country’ with men famous in the early history of this country." The wide grassed area which stretches from here up to Charlotte Street (along with a matching counterpart at the bottom of Smythe Street) dates back to the original 1786 survey of the City which reserved this area for farmers’ markets and cattle enclosures, although they likely never served either purpose.