Old Exhibition Palace
On this site used to be the only building illustrated in this book that is no longer with us. Fredericton’s Exhibition Palace was one of the greatest works of wooden architecture that Canada had ever seen. Influenced by London’s Crystal Palace of the Great Exhibition of 1851 with its visible structure and expanses of glass, the local cruciform Palace was designed by architect Matthew Stead for $28,000 in 1864. The dome was 86 feet in diameter and was the largest piece of wooden framework ever raised in the province up to then. Naturally lit by day, evening illumination was from 650 gas-burning fixtures and lamps held aloft by 24 statues. It was consumed by fire in 1877.