767 Churchill Row

767 Churchill Row

This Arts and Crafts-influenced cottage with its low eaves, shingle siding, sawtooth interior stair-rail, beach stone fireplace and chimney was built in 1939 as the home of Marguerite McNair, sister of John B. McNair, former premier and later Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick. Marguerite was a well-known gardener and painter whose abundant rear yard was a showpiece wildflower garden for the New Brunswick Horticultural Society for many years. Her ground floor painting studio was located in the right-side wing, which along with the living room still retains continuous picture hanging rails used for exhibiting her artwork.