Charlotte Street School
H.H. Mott and J.C. Dumaresq designed this refined brick structure which was built in 1884 as an elementary school; it is in fact the oldest school building still standing in the City. In many ways it is a smaller, more modest version of the Legislature with a cupola topped by a bellcast roof instead of a dome. The original building has six classrooms and a beautiful wide double stairway that still dominates the main hallway. The structure is actually one of the City’s only Italianate style public buildings with its shallow roof and slender pairs of arch-top windows. Early in the 20th century a rear wing was added with two classrooms on the main floor and an auditorium on the second floor.