255 Church Street

255 Church Street

James S. Neill, a prominent local businessman who operated a hardware business on lower Queen Street opposite the York County Court House, was the original owner of this house which was built sometime shortly after 1882. This enormous residence with its central tower and mansard roof is a textbook example of the Second Empire style which, along with its monumental scale, place it firmly as an architectural kinsman to such prominent public buildings as City Hall and The Old Post Office and Customs House. During the Second World War, the building served as a military hospital, and it is now an apartment building.