759 George Street
Alward Harned, mason, carpenter, and partner involved in the construction of the first Government House, built this handsome dwelling in 1826 for his own use. It has a large cellar and a solid stone foundation, fine woodwork, and wide floorboards. James White, a watchmaker and amateur inventor bought this house from David Harned in 1860, and later built a home-made telescope in the garden for all the neighbors to enjoy. The house was in the Fred P. Hatt Family for many generations until late in the last century.