704 George Street
Remarkably well-proportioned, this house is a fine example of Classical Revival domestic architecture with its decoratively bracketed gable eaves and a handsome entry portico featuring paneled double doors flanked by sturdy pilasters topped by heavy coiled brackets and entablature with three rosettes above the transom. Built between 1866 and 1872 - probably by carpenter James R. Breen - it was bought for $1250 on September 2, 1872 by lumber dealer and "trader" George Cliff, who resold it 18 days later for a profit of $250. Most of the shed-type roof dormers and rear constructions are later additions. Note the resemblance to 725 George Street across the street.