St. John Street streetscape
This street view features an eclectic mix of homes that capture a sense of mid-19th century development. According to the original town survey, St. John Street wasn’t supposed to have houses fronting upon it, which eventually created unplanned narrow lots with houses that were virtually "sardined" into the available space. David Scott, a carpenter with four apprentices, purchased these first few lots in 1850 for 195£ and built a carpenter’s shop here sometime before 1858. The first four houses were built by Scott by 1864, and were known as the "Scott Cottages" in a 1969 newspaper real estate notice. They present an interesting mix of Gothic Revival with the Greek Revival duplex at 220/222.