Old York County Gaol
This large stone building is pure Georgian architecture with its restrained simplicity and symmetry. It was designed by J.E. Woolford and completed by 1843. The gaol walls are made primarily of grey granite from the Spoon Island quarry near Hampstead. The large blocks were carried by boat up the St. John River to the construction site where they were cut further. Note the rear wall, which is made of less-expensive sandstone rubble from a local quarry. The front porch was a 20th century addition. The rear yard was the site of a double hanging in 1949, the last public execution in Fredericton. Since the gaol’s closing in 1997, the building has found new life as a science centre.