752 King Street
The Hon. John Saunders constructed this house in 1795 or 1796 with later alterations added such as the side gables and the front entrance with its Georgian fanlight. The basement contains a kitchen and wine cellar, although it is speculated that the basement may be older than the house; potentially even Acadian. Although it seems a modest house for a prominent Revolutionary War veteran and Virginia Loyalist destined to be Chief Justice of the Province and a member of the Legislative Council, Saunders thought of this as only a "pied à terre" in town while his ambition to recreate his Virginia estates was concentrated at "the Barony" upriver. Of that estate, the largest in the Province, nothing remains today.